The Endoscopy Center
The Endoscopy Center of Greenwich Hospital is located at 500 W. Putnam Ave. in Greenwich. It offers colonoscopy, upper GI endoscopy and other outpatient screenings and treatments for gastrointestinal disorders. The Center has two state-of-the-art endoscopy suites equipped with the latest technology, including private preparation and recovery bays.
During an endoscopic procedure, a gastroenterologist uses an endoscope (a flexible tube with a lighted end). It allows the specialist to obtain clear images of the lining of the digestive tract and also to treat various digestive disorders. Common procedures include:
- Colonoscopy (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Upper intestinal endoscopy (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Endoscopic retrograde choledochoduodenoscopy (ERCP) and the removal of stones in the bile ducts
- Endoscopic ultrasound
Physicians affiliated with the Endoscopy Center of Greenwich Hospital also offer specialized procedures including:
- BRAVO pH Monitoring Test. This measures and records the pH in the esophagus to determine if a patient has gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). The test can also be done to determine the effectiveness of medications or surgical treatment for GERD.
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Barrett's Esophagus. This highly effective, nonsurgical treatment can remove precancerous lesions from large areas of the esophagus.
Expert and Efficient Care
The Center's 12 gastroenterologists and other specially trained staff are committed to making the patient's visit comfortable and efficient. A referral from a physician is required and appointments are available on a timely basis and all services are performed on an outpatient basis. A streamlined admissions and discharge process allows patients to return home after just a few hours.