Supportive Care for Those with Serious Illness
The Palliative Care Service at Greenwich Hospital is dedicated to the care and comfort of seriously ill patients and their families. Palliative care focuses on symptom and pain management and quality of life issues for adult patients with complex, chronic or terminal illnesses at any stage of the illness. Working to relieve symptoms, pain and stress, the palliative care team, led by Dr. Donna Coletti, MD, helps families understand the pros and cons of various procedures, medications and letting nature take its course.
The palliative care approach benefits patients with a variety of illnesses, from cancer, respiratory and heart ailments, to dementia and other neurologic conditions.
Sickness is stressful, often painful. The palliative care team is here to:
- Explain treatment options
- Help patients be comfortable with their decisions
- Keep lines of communication open among patients, their families and their doctors
Along with hospice care, which focuses on end of life, the hospital’s palliative care program is designed to educate, empower, and comfort.
Care is focused on the emotional, physical and spiritual support of the patient and family to improve quality of life. Whether the patient is at home or hospitalized, our palliative care team will discuss the patient's plan of care with him/her frequently to make sure the patient's needs and wishes are being met and that his treatments are in line with his goals.
Is palliative care right for you or a loved one? It might be if you are experiencing:
- Uncertainty regarding the prognosis and goals of care
- Difficult physical and emotional symptoms related to a serious medical illness
- Decline in physical health with multiple hospitalizations
- Prolonged hospitalization with poor prognosis
- Patient and family stress with unresolved psychological or spiritual issues
- Questions or concerns about a living will and advance directives
To receive palliative care all you need to do is ask. Speak with your doctor or nurse. Or contact us directly at 203-863-4622.
Most insurance plans cover all or part of palliative treatment.