Volunteers Support Patients, Families and Staff
Our goal as volunteers is to make the hospital experience as pleasant as possible for patients and their families. We also support the staff whenever and wherever possible. Below are some of the jobs we do throughout the hospital.
Patient and Family Areas
- Escort patients to testing areas.
- Assist and comfort family members and keep them informed about their loved ones.
- Deliver mail, flowers, books and magazines to patients.
- Serve as a Pharmacy courier to nursing units.
- Provide “comfort care” to patients in the Ambulatory, Emergency and Oncology departments.
- With special training, provide “Healing Touch” to patients, or work as a Home Hospice or Oncology Volunteer.
There's always a lot of behind-the-scenes action at Greenwich Hospital. Volunteers fulfill clerical needs for various departments.
Hospitality and Retail
A volunteer's smile is a wonderful greeting to patients, families and visitors. Whether at the main hospital or one of its satellite facilities, volunteers can make a difference.
- Welcome visitors, answer questions and provide directions at reception areas.
- Staff the Auxiliary's Gift Shop and select the newest and “trendiest” items.
- Organize and sell donated items at the Auxiliary's Thrift Shop
Like to knit? Consider putting your needles to work for Greenwich Hospital’s “Healing Shawls” project. Handmade shawls and hats provide warmth to our Bendheim Cancer Center patients, as well as reassurance that someone out there cares. Easy instructions are available from the Volunteer Office. Call 203-863-3222. If you don't knit, you can still help by making a donation to purchase yarn.