Clinical Pastoral Education
CPE is an experiential educational experience of action-reflection-action where students are invited to learn by practicing pastoral care and reflecting on their practice in group. It is conducted in a clinical setting that seeks to help students develop their ability in the following three areas:
- Pastoral Formation: Focusing on personal development of the student as a pastoral care provider.
- Pastoral Competency: Seeking to help the student develop specific pastoral care skills drawing from their integration of their theology, psychology and cultural resources.
- Pastoral Reflection: Encouraging students to be reflective individually and in group and to make use of Praxis – action and reflective practice as a way to continue to evaluate their work and strengthen their own personal formation and competency skills.
Each of these areas have specific outcomes that are pursued in Level I and Level II CPE.
Frequently Asked Questions
Uniqueness of Our Center
Our clinical setting allows you to serve in an acute hospital that is at once a community hospital setting and at the same time part of Yale New Haven Health which provides extensive specialized services.
Greenwich Hospital serves a diverse patient population. We have some of the wealthiest and some of the poorest patients in the country. We serve Caucasian, African Americans, Black Caribbean and Latinos.
Our center also affords students further diverse opportunities to learn pastoral care skills in the following areas:
- The Addiction Rehabilitation Center
- Palliative/Hospice Care
- Local nursing homes (through our relationship with Greenwich Chaplaincy Services)
Fulfills one of the following criteria:
- A seminarian or lay person
(assumes basic introduction to pastoral care courses have already been taken)
- Has completed a Master of Divinity, Master in Pastoral Care & Counseling or equivalent
- Ordained clergy
Additional requirements are: a) an application, b) admission interview and c) tuition deposit.
Our hospital offers two Clinical Pastoral Education units annually:
- An Extended Unit – a 20-week program that runs from the fall through the spring
- A Summer Unit – a 10-week program that begins the week after Memorial Day
Weekly Program Requirements:
- Extended Unit – One (5) hour class session and (15) hours of clinical work visiting patients and on-call experience
- Summer Unit – Two (5) hour class sessions and (30) hours of clinical work visiting patients and on-call experience
The program also includes writing assignments, small group experience and individual supervision.
Tuition is $650.
Learn about our Faculty
How to Apply
Download and complete the application and reference form. Mail the completed application and three references to:
The Department of Spiritual Care
5 Perryridge Road
Greenwich, CT 06830
Qualified candidates will be invited for an interview.
Greenwich Hospital’s Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) Program is an accredited Center of the Association of Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE).
55 Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard, Suite 835
Atlanta, GA 30308
Fax: (404) 320-0849