Critical Care Units
Greenwich Hospital offers three critical care units:
- Medical-Surgical Intensive Care Unit (MSICU) provides specialized treatment and monitoring of critically ill children and adult patients.
- The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) cares for newborn babies with critical needs.
- The Intermediate Care Unit, sometimes called “Telemetry,” provides special monitoring and nursing for patients who no longer require intensive care.
Medical-Surgical Intensive Care Unit (MSICU)
This 10-bed intensive care unit is equipped to provide the safest and most advanced intensive care. Technology ranges from sophisticated bedside monitors to leading-edge ventilators and defibrillators. Staff are specially trained to treat patients with complex and life-threatening conditions.
The MSICU has a comfortable lounge for families as well as private consulting areas for conferences with medical staff. An information center in the hospital’s medical library provides patients and families with access to medical information. Overnight accommodations can be made for family members in the lounge or the patient's room.
The MSICU treats children and adults. (Babies receive care in our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.) Pediatric patients requiring longer term intensive care are generally stabilized at Greenwich Hospital and then transferred to our affiliate, Yale New Haven Hospital.
- The MSICU is located on the second floor of the Helmsley Medical Building.
- Visiting hours are flexible to meet the needs of patients and their families. We ask close family and friends to refrain from visiting during shift changes (7 - 8 am and 7 - 8 pm).
Intermediate Care Unit
Our 20-bed Intermediate Care Unit is for patients with cardiac or other medical conditions that do not need intensive care, but do require specialized monitoring, nursing and resources.
This unit features advanced sensing devices that allow staff to continuously monitor a patient’s heart rhythms and respiration from a central location. (Sometimes the Intermediate Care Unit is referred to by the name of this technology: telemetry.) The staff includes specially trained registered nurses, cardiac monitor technicians and nursing assistants.
- The Intermediate Care Unit is located on the second floor of the Helmsley Medical Building.
- Visiting hours are 10 am - 8:30 pm.